Auditing Physics of Information and Physics of Computation
UC Davis Physics 256A (Winter) and Physics 256B (Spring)
The course regularly attracts auditors.
I very much appreciate the interest and initial enthusiasm.
However, I strongly urge that you enroll.
Here are the issues.
- Auditors don't stay engaged.
- Past experience shows that very few learn the material.
- In a dozen years of offering the course, no auditor has ever completed it; not even one quarter.
- You will learn.
- Access to learning resources:
- Unique online web-based interactive labs and homeworks.
- Graded homeworks that give you feedback.
- Access to help from the TAs.
- Class project development.
- Enrolled students, not auditors, guarantee that this course will be offered
in future years. There is continuing pressure to
demonstrate need for this unique kind of course via concrete (enrollment) numbers.